How To Turn On ‘Lights Out’ Dark Mode on Twitter App
Update: The Lights Out dark mode theme is available for everyone now.
Many app developers have begun testing out dark modes for their apps. Social media apps such as Instagram have already been updated with a dark mode theme. Now, those who use Twitter can rejoice since the OLED-friendly dark mode on Twitter is here.
Well, technically the ‘lights out’ theme update isn’t yet available to the public. Twitter has released the new AMOLED black theme with the alpha build of the Twitter app. If you’re on the latest alpha build, then here’s how to toggle on the new dark mode on Twitter.
Turn on Dark Mode on Twitter
Turning on the new ‘Lights Out’ theme is fairly easy and the process should not change when the update is released for the stable version.
- Launch the Twitter app on your Android smartphone.
- Swipe in from the left edge of the screen.
- Tap on Settings and privacy.
- Under the General section, select Display and sound.
- Now tap on Dark mode. If you’re running the latest alpha version of the Twitter app, you should see two options — Dim and Lights Out.
- Select Lights Out to toggle on the OLED-black theme.
Using an app with a black or dark grey mode on a smartphone with an AMOLED screen would help save a tiny portion of your battery. However, if you’re not pleased with the Lights Out mode, you can always revert back to the dim blue theme by selecting the Dim option in the dark mode settings.
We’re unsure when the new dark mode on Twitter for Android would be available in the stable version of the app. The Lights Out theme was announced way back in March and has been available on Twitter’s web version.